Some of his current preoccupations are:
- playing music with the elderly and especially those with dementia
- making sounds and exploring noises with the very young (from 0-5)
- working with mixed generation groups, whether Family Orchestras or taking children to Care Homes and seeing what transpires when old and young play together
- attempting to make music in a carbon-neutral way.
Hugh makes instant songs in many different situations (music festivals, special schools…) and sometimes more considered, slower songs at his home on the piano or harmonium.
Hugh uses the accordion for leading workshops as with this instrument you can play a melody, an accompaniment, you can sing and you can move around all at the same time.
In the past year Hugh has:
- continued to explore identifying musical potential for Young Musicians – the results of which have now been incorporated into the National Music Plan
- been teaching Music in the Community and an Introduction to Community Arts Practice at Edinburgh University
- compulsively composed songs
- been writing about his practice in the hope that a book might one day emerge …