Music of the Night
Venue Details: Bournemouth Pavilion
- Mendelssohn : A Midsummer Night's Dream Overture
- Borodin : Nocturne
- Prokofiev : Romeo & Juliet Suite No.1
- Elgar : Serenade for Strings
- Liszt : Mephisto Waltz No.1
- Mussorgsky : A Night on the Bare Mountain
- Conductor : Maxime Tortelier
- Soloist: Amyn Merchant (Violin)
- Soloist: Petroc Trelawny (Presenter)
From sinister nightmares and evocations of darkness to dreams of beauty and romance, experience musical inspirations captured in an atmosphere that only the night can bring. Borodin and Elgar provide the soothing elegance and nostalgia of a warm sunset and evening serenade, whilst the romance, revenge and tragedy, after a night of ill-met passion, is all captured in Prokofiev’s Romeo & Juliet Suite. The spectre of supernatural forces comes to the fore in Mendelssohn’s capricious overture and Liszt’s devilish, whirling waltz, and the evening concludes with Mussorgsky’s dark and brooding depiction of the Witches Sabbath.
Click here to listen to a podcast with conductor Maxime Tortelier discussing his highlights of the concert.
Click here to explore the concert in more detail and listen to previews of the music we have in store for you.
This concert is part of the Saturday Nights at Seven Series, each one brimming with some of the best music ever written. Find out more here