Venue Details: Colston Hall
- Mussorgsky : Dawn on the Moscow River
- Rachmaninov : Piano Concerto No.1
- Tchaikovsky : Symphony No.1 "Winter Daydreams"
- Conductor : Kirill Karabits
- Soloist: Stephen Hough (Piano)
The public was already familiar with the Second and Third Concertos before Rachmaninoff revised the First in 1917. It is very different from his later works; in exchange for less memorable melodies, this concerto incorporates elements of youthful vivacity and impetuosity in a concise and spirited fashion.
"Hough is a pianist with virtuosity to spare... and he put those spare pyrotechnics to good use in supplying rare lightness, wit and musical depth."
The Sunday Telegraph