BSO 120th Birthday Gala
Venue Details: Bournemouth Pavilion
- Wagner : Tannhauser Overture
- Holst : Jupiter from The Planets
- Korngold : Marietta's Lied
- Shostakovich : Romance from The Gadfly
- Shostakovich : Andante from Counterplan
- Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso : Saint-Saëns
- Tchaikovsky : Symphony No.2 "Little Russian"
Dan Godfrey lifted his baton for his Bournemouth Band for the very first time on Monday 22 May 1893. A contemporary report said “It seems as if the new band will catch on” and indeed 120 years later the BSO is still giving great concerts. This special gala concert features some of the music that has been special to the BSO over the years, including some works from that first concert. Joined by the internationally acclaimed Nicola Benedetti, who will be performing favourites from The Silver Violin - her chart-topping album of film classics recorded with Kirill and the BSO, this really will be an evening worth celebrating.
This concert is part of the Saturday Nights at Seven Series, each one brimming with some of the best music ever written. Find out more here